Remember those blue and gold uniforms Nick Cannon’s band wore in Drumline? Well, they were inspired by one of the greatest marching bands in history. Don’t know what it is? All good, HBCU Leggings is here to help. Here are 3 things you need to know about North Carolina A&T’s Blue and Gold Marching Machine:
- How they rank: As of February of this year, The Blue and Gold Marching Machine holds the spot as the number 1 HBCU band for the 3rd year in a row. Out of 52 HBCU bands across the nation, North Carolina holds fast to first place. The survey is held by HBCU Sports where more than 223,000 votes are cast by students, alumni and music enthusiasts alike. This past year, the Marching Machine won more than half of the total votes. Wow.
- How it works: The Blue and Gold Marching Machine has over 200 students across majors and disciplines. Shout out to the sections that make up The Machine:
- Piccolos: Essence of Silver
- Clarinets: Ebony Kings and Queens
- Saxophones: Saxually Active
- Trumpets: Scream Machine
- Mellophones: Sonic Boom
- Trombones: Freight Train
- Euphoniums: Crucial Eu
- Sousaphones: Thundar Brothers
- Percussion: Cold Steel Drumline
- Majorettes, colorguard and dancers: Golden Delight
- Notable Performances: Still not impressed? The Blue and Gold Marching Machine is famous for their performances at Aggie football games at Truist Stadium but their accomplishments extend beyond Greensboro. Over the past 12 years, the Blue and Gold Marching Machine has made 7 performances at the distinguished Honda, Battle of the Bands – an annual marching band exhibition which features ensembles from HBCUs across the country. In 2012 the band made all of North Carolina proud by being given the honor of leading the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. If that’s not enough, The Blue and Gold Marching Machine also serves as the official band of the NFL franchise.
It turns out there’s a lot more than Drumline to credit North Carolina A&T’s marching band with. When it comes down to it, The Blue and Gold Marching Machine is in a league of their own. Rep your Aggie Pride by shopping our NC A&T Collection of leggings, tees and blankets. 15% of every sale from this collection is given back to NC A&T.